Person in a Foreign Country Copies Your Patent

Posted by Michael Shimokaji | Jul 24, 2014 | 0 Comments

Question:  If your product is patented in the US or Patent Pending, can another country copy it? Do you need international patent lawyer?

Example, can China copy your patented invention? Will a US attorney take care of all this?

 Answer: Patent rights are country specific. Therefore, if you have a patent only in the US, people in other countries are not bound by your US patent.

Typically, US lawyers will work with foreign lawyers to secure patent rights in foreign countries.

About the Author

Michael Shimokaji

Michael’s expertise includes the strategic development of patent and trademark portfolios. He identifies those patents and trademarks that are valuable to his clients by providing them with a competitive advantage. Then, Michael obtains patent and trademark registrations in the US and abroad.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Free Consultations

Get answers to your questions from a patent lawyer and trademark lawyer. Contact us for a free consultation - by phone or video conference or in person.