Posted by Michael Shimokaji | Jun 26, 2019 | 0 Comments

QUESTION: Product that I have patented in USA can I manufacture in other country that is not signatory of international patent treaty? I Have a patent and it is assigned to may company I work for now. I want to resign and open company in another country that my patent was not patented nor the country is a signatory of an international patent treaty. What is the legal situation doing that? If I am manufacturing the patented product in USA but the product is not patented in a country I want to manufacture that product, will I be liable of infringement and persecution by USA court?

ANSWER: Generally, the US patent only prevents infringement in the US. If you make the US patented product in a foreign country and do not export the product into the US, there is no US patent infringement. If the product is not patented in the foreign country in which you manufacture, you cannot be liable for patent infringement.

About the Author

Michael Shimokaji

Michael’s expertise includes the strategic development of patent and trademark portfolios. He identifies those patents and trademarks that are valuable to his clients by providing them with a competitive advantage. Then, Michael obtains patent and trademark registrations in the US and abroad.


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Free Consultations

Get answers to your questions from a patent lawyer and trademark lawyer. Contact us for a free consultation - by phone or video conference or in person.